Bill Raymond, my guest on this week's edition of Meet the Sales Experts, talked at length about what it means to have bench strength on the sales force. HINT - it's not having substitutes ready to jump in!
He also spoke at length about the right way for companies to use value to decommoditize their products and services. Bill elaborated about the difference between real selling and demonstrating and presenting.
His 5 tips for owners, presidents, and CEO's? He said that things really aren't terribly different other than money being tighter. So he said:
- You must have a capable sales tea - not the 20 part of the 80/20 rule. Assess your sales force.
- Develop the people you have - get them performing on all cylinders, selling not demonstrating.
- Manage the effort with solid sales management - coaching, motivating, recruiting, and accountability - things that produce revenue, not administrative stuff.
- Hire above the average of what you have - don't be so willing to settle.
- Have a hard charging sales team - highly motivated where team performance motivates them to perform.
(c) Copyright 2009 Dave Kurlan