This recent article in the Harvard Business Review Blog was as far off target as any I have ever debunked. Steve Martin lists 7 characteristics that he says differentiate great sales forces from good ones. His seven are:
- Strong Centralized Command and Control with Local Authority,
- Darwinian Sales Culture,
- United Against a Common Enemy,
- Competitive but Cohesive Team,
- DIY Attitude,
- They Suspend Negative Belief Systems, and
- There is Energy and Esprit de Corps!
Compare that with the six I wrote about in this article:
- Effective Sales Selection for Appropriate Sales DNA,
- Effective Sales Coaching,
- Effective Sales Accountability,
- Formal, Structured Consultative Sales Process,
- Sales and Sales Leadership Training, and
- Coaching and Development and Hunting for New Business.