Well, it's really happened now.Disclosure: Hubspot is a client of both Kurlan and OMG; This blog is hosted on Hubspot's terrific blogging and lead-gen platform and I was one of their very first customers back in 2006.]
Hubspot's VAR's are all marketing agencies specializing in inbound marketing. There were some terrific comments, but one particular comment stopped me dead in my clicks and scrolls. The comment was from a well-respected Hubspot executive who said, "Do not hire a salesperson." It's a polarizing comment for a number of reasons:
- I'm speaking at their international INBOUND14 Conference next month (if you want to attend, you can use this discount code: GOINB14) and my topic is, "Interviewing for the Inbound Sales Role"! Should I back out? Do you think anyone will show up to hear me?
- This comment, as well as articles and comments like this, are the source of exactly the kind of confusion that I spoke about in this cover story for Top Sales World Magazine last week.
- And it's exactly the kind of confusion that I spoke about with Selling Power Publisher, Gerhard Gschwandtner, in the video below, recorded at last month's Sales 2.0 conference in Boston.
Once again, it's imperative for everyone to understand that there are many scenarios where salespeople cannot be replaced by inbound marketing! If you or your company are involved in any of the following 10 scenarios, you absolutely must have salespeople:
- Complex Sale
- Big Ticket Sale
- Long Sales Cycle
- You are the Underdog.
- You Have a New Technology.
- You are Not the Market Leader.
- You are Not the Low Price Leader.
- You are Not the Recognized Major Brand.
- It is Not an Existing Expense for Most Customers.
- Your Product or Service is Not an Easy-to-Sell, Affordable Subscription.
So, it should be quite obvious why an inbound marketer, following up on an inbound lead, cannot possibly run the sophisticated sales cycle that would be required to successfully sell and close a prospect or group of prospects in the 10 scenarios listed above.
How do you feel about this topic? Please weigh in below, regardless of which side of the fence you are on.