Had an update lately?
I get an Office 365 update on Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and OneNote at least every week. Yawn. It seems half of them are to fix something that broke in the previous release.
Apple updates the operating systems of their various devices on a fairly regular basis. The software for my Apple watch was updated twice in the past month. IOS, the operating system for the iPhone and iPad was just updated as was the software for AppleTV. OS x, the operating system for the Mac, was recently updated. Most of these updates occur automatically and without fanfare but when an update advances to the next number - from 13.62 to 14.0 - it's a big deal and means significant updates to features, stability, security and usability are included.
Such is the case with Objective Management Group. Like Apple, OMG updates its assessments on a non-stop basis but rolls out significant updates a couple of times per year. Last week OMG introduced the latest revision to the 21 Sales Core Competencies.
There are thirty competencies in all, each with between six and twelve attributes but some are more important than others and OMG measures twenty-one of them in the following three categories:
- Will to Sell includes 5 sales competencies that differentiate between whether a salesperson CAN sell, versus whether they WILL sell.
- Sales DNA includes 6 competencies which, when appearing as strengths, support a salesperson's ability to execute sales process, sales methodology, sales strategy and sales tactics. However, when these competencies appear as weakness, they sabotage a salesperson's ability to execute sales process, sales methodology, sales strategy and sales tactics.
- Tactical Selling has 10 sales competencies that show the degree to which a salesperson has developed the required skills to effectively sell in today's ever-changing world of selling.
OMG's latest release includes several changes to the 21 Sales Core Competencies.
There is a new competency called Sales Technology which wraps three sales competencies into one:
- Video Proficient is a brand new competency that looks at a salesperson's use of video platforms, how well they have learned those platforms, and to what degree they have embraced video for virtual selling.
- CRM Savvy was previously included in the 21 sales competencies before being rolled into Sales Technology.
- Mastery of Social Selling was also included in the 21 sales competencies prior to being rolled into Sales Technology.
Sales Technology is a great example of how quickly OMG moves to not only remain current as selling evolves, but to lead the way and standardize the competencies which experts in the sales development space view as core to success.
OMG has had a finding called Reaches Decision Makers since 1990 and in recent years it became a full-blown competency that included eight attributes. In the latest update, OMG moves Reaches Decision Makers into the primary group of 21 because our research shows that salespeople are 900% less likely to move the opportunity to closable if they are not talking directly with the actual decision maker.
There is a very good reason that OMG has been named the Top Sales Assessment Tool in the World for nine consecutive years. It is not only extremely accurate, it is also incredibly predictive and insightful. In the screen shot below, you can see all 21 Sales Core Competencies, as well as some of the other competencies OMG measures and reports on, as shown on the coaching dashboard of a sales evaluation.
Personality assessments (like Caliper) and behavioral styles assessments (like DiSC) ask their questions in a social context, measure personality traits and behavioral styles and then ADAPT (GUESS) those findings for sales. This is crucial for understanding the differences! OMG asks all of its questions in the context of sales, measures actual sales knowledge and capabilities in the context of the sales competencies above, and ACCURATELY REPORTS on those sales competency scores.
You can view and filter by industry some of OMG's data in 21 Sales Core Competencies and even see how your salespeople compare by clicking here. You can check out OMG's accurate and predictive sales candidate assessments here.
Image copyright 123RF