Excuses generally show up in one of four categories, which I call DUDE:
- Defensiveness - why you are wrong in your appraisal of them
- Understanding - why my prospect is doing what he said he is doing
- Denial - they never agreed to that
- Explanations - why they didn't do what you expected them to do
How then do you eliminate excuse making from your sales force? I call this RAW:
- Recognize it
- Address it - 'That's an excuse.'
- Warning - 'I won't allow that any more. You'll have to take responsibility for your results.'
If an excuse maker is a DUDE, how many DUDES do you have? How often have you gone RAW? It's never too late to start.
(c) Copyright 2005 Objective Management Group, Inc.