86% of all salespeople have beliefs that don't support ideal sales outcomes. That's important because beliefs influence behavior, and appropriate sales behavior drives results. Think about sales process, sales methodology, sales strategy and sales tactics. Salespeople who have the ability to execute those four elements of success are less dependent on their knowledge of selling than what they believe. While most salespeople have self-limiting beliefs, it should not surprise you that only 18% of the elite salespeople - the top 5% - have self-limiting beliefs. But it drops off rapidly from there. Below I have listed the percentage of salespeople with self-limiting Beliefs by performance levels.
- Elite (the top 5%) 18% self-limiting
- Strong (the next 15%) 49% self-limiting
- Serviceable (the next 30%) 78% self-limiting
- Weak (the bottom half of all salespeople) 97% self-limiting
In other words, the best salespeople (top 5%) are 2733% more likely to have Supportive Beliefs than the worst salespeople (bottom 50%). Supportive Beliefs is one of the 21 Sales Core Competencies, each of which correlates perfectly to the four levels of performance. It's also one of six competencies that make up Sales DNA and no competency correlates more to performance than Supportive Beliefs. I'll repeat it.
The data is from Objective Management Group (OMG) which has evaluated and assessed 1,877,527 salespeople.
You probably have two questions by now:
- How many beliefs - supportive or self-limiting does OMG measure?
- What are some examples of self-limiting beliefs?
A salesperson's beliefs are deemed to be self-limiting if they have more than 6 that are self-limiting. Most salespeople have upwards of a dozen!
Just a Few Examples:
- Prospects will buy only if I have the lowest price
- I need my prospects to like me
- It's not OK to ask my prospects about their finances
- Prospects that think it over will eventually buy from me
- It's impolite to ask a lot of questions
- If I challenge or confront a prospect they'll get upset with me
- It's OK if my prospects want to comparison shop
Today is a great time to begin working on your self-limiting beliefs and there is an easy way do that.
Use the Sales DNA Modifier to reprogram your beliefs and overcome your sales weaknesses with our powerful tool for just $119/year. The Sales DNA Modifier will help you overcome 12 major sales weaknesses through powerful self-hypnosis and it really works. All you have to do is stare at the computer screen while listening to the audio twice per day for 21 days and then move on to the next weakness. If you subscribe today, as a bonus I'll send you my powerful 5-page exercise for reprogramming your Self-Limiting Beliefs. The exercise includes every potential self-limiting sales belief and the appropriate replacement beliefs as well as instructions for how to make it work. Subscribe today!
Image copyright iStock Photos